Thursday, January 29, 2009

Whomp Here it Is! Diet, fat loss, body composition, lifestyle change

This is me, working through what is actually happening in my journey to a fit healthy body. Perhaps my musings will help you along your way as well.

Here I am on my weigh in day for this week. I know for a fact that I haven’t been overeating. Well one day I spiked my calories up to around 2500. One day out of 7. The 2500 is an estimate and on the high side. My calorie consumption has actually been more on the low side.

This is the part that throws so many people off their fitness plans. Notice I didn’t say diet plan. Improving overall health and fitness involves more than starving yourself thin. That is just as unhealthy as being obese. It entails muscle degeneration, heart attacks, weakness, overall health deterioration.



So what am I on about? My nutritional consumption has been decent. Not perfect I’m sure but decent. I’ve been working out. Between working with the kennel/ranch some days have been moderate and others heavy. Heavy as in pushing it to the max of what my body will take to get livestock taken care of. When I get back into the house and peel off my outer ware I am soaked through my inner layers. Not because snow is soaking through my coveralls, but because I’m working hard enough that I am sweating heavily enough to soak my clothes. No it’s not because it’s hot, it’s been near or below zero. In cold temps like that it takes more care to keep the animals in good stead.

I’ve been working out to Hip Hop Abs; as well as doing physical ranch work. Been doing a bit on my elliptical as well. In any of my indoor workouts I’ve been putting forth the effort so I’ve been soaking my clothes there too.


So yay rah, I’m sweating up my clothes. Makes for a good bit of laundry but what does it have to do with my weight loss, or lack there of. That’s right I stayed the same this week, for the second week running. What does all this going on about working out and sweat have to do with that? You’d think that I would have dropped 5 or 6 pounds between the appropriate food consumption and exercise.

That didn’t happen. So what did happen? Oh, I can’t lose weight freak out. No, that’s not happening either. Here it is. Here is what is happening. I am changing my body’s composition. I can feel it and I can see it. I can feel it in my arms, my legs, butt, back, sides, abs, neck, hands, even in my face.

I am losing fat and gaining muscle. How long is this going to go on? I have no idea. The change in body composition is going to be going on for the long haul. How long will the muscle build outweigh the fat loss? No idea. Muscle is 5 times denser than fat. It will go along this way until it doesn’t. What I mean is my weight will stay static or fluctuate, then boom drop again.



In the past this has driven me a bit batty. Freak out and eat everything in sight lamenting the fruitlessness of dieting. The difference is I am not dieting. OMG! What did I say? I am not dieting. Nope not on a diet. Pointless starvation things.

What is happening in my life is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. A major change in mindset. I do not feel guilty about food. I enjoy the taste, smell and texture of what I eat. I eat to live; I do not live to eat. Nor do I eat to dull my emotions.

For the first time since I was a child I can actually enjoy a meal. I seriously dislike the feeling of eating too much, of being overfull, so I don’t overeat. The compulsion to eat and eat without knowing why is gone. I eat when my body is hungry, not when I’m bored or pissed, or depressed, or whatever.

Yes I am still over fat. One day one step at a time, that is changing. This time around I am enjoying the process.

Life is a journey, enjoy the trip.
Live life now: appreciate each moment as it happens.
Mary E. Robbins & the Hairballs
Robbins Run Ranch: Living the Dream With Our Pomeranians
Team Beachbody Coach
Turn Weight Loss into Profit: Learn How to Become a Beachbody Coach
307.788.0202

Now I am going to log into my online gym and go workout. Hip Hop Abs here I come…killer six pack abs here I come.


No comments: