Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I had an epiphany today.

I watched the biggest loser last night. First time this season that I’ve seen it. Usually I’m doing something else or my husband has the remote. I was getting on my elliptical to work out and decided to watch tv while doing so and came across the program. I’m glad I did. I watched these 2 teams, blue and black go for the big weight loss numbers. Some with success and some with utter failure. I saw some of the same emotional pain and frustration on their faces as I’m dealing with.

At the end of the program Jillian (one of the trainers) came on and was talking about diet. As in what you put in your mouth, chew and swallow. A couple of the folks on the black team had severely restricted their calories trying to drop a high number of pounds for the week and it backfired.

If you cut your calories too low your metabolism will slow way down and you will not lose fat. You may even gain weight because your body will hang on to every calorie it gets. It goes into starvation mode.

So what do you do? Eat 5 or 6 times a day. No not 5000 calories unless you are doing an ultra marathon every day. Get a grip, and get off your butt.

I am using New Vision’s diet program, and it’s excellent. Now make sure you hear me. I am not living on diet shakes alone. I am eating 5 or 6 times a day.

Transforming your body, losing excess fat (note the excess in this sentence), developing a healthy relationship with your body, dealing with the physical changes in your body; is not only a physical transformation. It is a mental/emotional/spiritual transformation as well.

How you see yourself; what you believe, determines how your physical body transforms.

Actually; how you see yourself, what you tell yourself, the questions you ask yourself, what you believe not only determines how your physical body transforms; it determines how you live your life.

Your physical life. Your personal life. Your spiritual life. Your business life.

That said I had an epiphany today. Actually tonight as I was trying to go to bed. Yes I got out of bed and started writing. If I ad 2 kilometers a week I can make the full marathon distance by race day. May 25th 2008.

Yesterday I did 5 kilometers in the morning and 5 kms (kilometers) in the evening. Today I ate breakfast and went straight out to the kennels. Took about 20 minutes for lunch and kept working until around 5 pm. Popped into an online meeting at 5pm. Turned up the volume so I could listen without being tied to the computer. Stuck supper in the oven and got on my elliptical.

I did 10 kilometers on the elliptical tonight.

As I went to bed I was asking myself how could I make the full 26.2 mile (42.16 kilometer) marathon rather than the half. Just as I was starting my prayers, add 2 kilometers a week popped into my head, along with the belief that it’s actually attainable.

This is a huge thing for me. I’ve had doing a marathon on my life list for a very long time. Every time I started training for it I would sabotage myself. I didn’t believe I could actually do it.

Mindset is a powerful thing. I believe I can do a marathon. I believe I can do the Wyoming May 25th, 2008 Marathon.

Training for this marathon will play a major part in my body transformation. Good nutrition, plays a major part in my body’s transformation as well. Yes I’m taking vitamins and minerals: New Vision of course.

How much weight am I going to lose? How many inches am I going to lose? I’m not really sure. Overall weight loss, and overall inch loss can be pretty variable. So what am I working for. A sleek athletic, healthy body. A major goal for me is to be able to walk normally, and not have my thighs touch. So I’m not sure at what weight that will occur. Frankly I don’t care what weight that happens at. I do not want my thighs rubbing together when I walk.

What I do want is a firm athletic, healthy body. For the first time in my life I can actually see it in my minds eye. And get this, it’s attainable.

He he he, happy dance, happy dance, happy dance. I’m free. For the first time in my life, I am free. I am free and I am not afraid. That’s a biggie.

Life is a journey… one step at a time…
Mary E. Robbins & the Hairballs
Robbins Run Ranch: Living the Dream with our Pomeranians

No comments: