Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thursday Morning: Up Before the Butt Crack of Dawn!


Thursday morning… I’d say bright and early … but the only thing bright here right now are the embers in the wood stove. The stars are even hidden behind an early morning cloud cover… the moon is barely peeking through… It’s supposed to warm up today. I hope they are right. It’s still 4 degrees Fahrenheit here according to the weather channel on my computer. Happily my thermometer says it’s closer to 20 in this hollow. Much warmer than yesterday at this time.

My back feels better, Thank God! Literally! I used my abdominal/back band all day yesterday and I’m using it again today. I thought I could go without using it much and just build the strength in my abs and back. Unfortunately I was mistaken. I have built strength, but I’ve injured myself along the way. So, I’m taking a new tack. I’m using the back and abdominal supports. It will probably take a bit longer to build the strength as my body will rely on the supports. However in the long run I think I’ll come out better for it.

The kennel work has to be done, so does my house… in the process of this work I’ve been hurting myself. So I’m using the supports to protect myself and I’ll use oxycise, to help build the muscle strength.

It’s been miserable, absolutely crazy pain from the muscle spasms in my back pulling me over backwards after taking care of my kennels. That’s just nuts, and it’s damaging to my body as well. Bloody muscle spasm pulled my spine out of alignment to the point I could barely use my legs from the pinched nerves. I was losing control of my arms as well, then there was that nauseating pain. Ugh.
If I’m a wimp for using the supports, then so be it. But in the long run I’ll be stronger and healthier for it.

I should have used supports from the start of my recovery rather than listening to those that said I shouldn’t. I could have gotten a lot more done, with a lot less pain.

I’m not talking about being totally dependent on supports, I’m talking about using them to protect my body while I’m healing and strengthening my body. Frankly it’s amazing to me just how long it’s taking to regain even part of the strength and endurance I had before I was ill. But then I was ill for a long time. Long time to me anyway, over 5 years, and 2 major surgeries. With a nasty case of West Nile Virus tossed in the middle of it all. Ok, all things considered I’m doing pretty well. Maybe just maybe I can piece my superwoman cape back together… lol…

At least, get into good condition physically, mentally and spiritually as well… oh and lets not forget financially. Illness can certainly do a number on the finances… eeeewwww… Happily I’m starting to turn that around as well…

On to fitness:
I did the elliptical for 1 km yesterday… and again this morning
I wrote down everything I ate yesterday.
Had a tasty breakfast this morning of hot tea, Yoplait… the sugar free/fat free kind, and a toasted English muffin with a bit of butter and honey.

Nope no coffee first thing this morning, my tummy was a bit off and coffee just doesn’t appeal to me when I feel like that. Now a good spot of tea does just fine. Yes I’m still a coffee lover and I will more than likely have some later. Just didn’t want any this morning.

As for the rest of the day on the exercise front; I’m going after kennel feed, and supplies so I’ll be blasting around the store and unloading supplies at my mom’s before I come home to take care of the kennels. Dump that Ice wield that sledge hammer, unload those bags, scoop that feed, muck out the whelping house… and so on and so on… it’s get fit or croak…lol… soooo… I’m working for get fit. It will be so nice to feel a spring in my step, rather than trudging under the weight. Just the thought of that makes me smile all over.

Life is a journey… how you take the trip is up to you!
Mary E. Robbins & the Hairballs

No comments: